PRINCETON —Sentencing was postponed Friday for a Mercer County man who was convicted in October 2018 of multiple sexual offenses committed between 1992 and 2001 against two children.
Bobby Lee Smith, 55, of Princeton was scheduled for sentencing before Circuit Court Judge Mark Wills. A jury convicted Smith on Oct 2018 of 16 of 24 counts of sexual offenses. The charges included first-degree sexual abuse, sexual assault, incest and sexual abuse by a parent, guardian or custodian, Prosecuting Attorney George Sitler said after the two-day trial.
The jury found Smith guilty of four counts of sexual abuse in the first degree, 10 counts of sexual abuse by a parent, guardian or custodian, one count of sexual assault in the first degree and one count of incest, according to court records.
Smith faces 74 to 220 years in prison if the sentences for each charge runs consecutively, Sitler said.
The charges involved two children, members of Smith’s family, who are now adult. These offenses occurred between 1992 and 2001. Smith was arrested in August 2017 after Detective K.L. Adams of the Mercer County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office was tasked with investigating the alleged physical and sexual abuse of two female juveniles. The abuse began when the girls were in early elementary school and continued until both children were in middle school.
During Friday’s hearing, the defense filed motions for a new trial, Assistant Prosecuting Attorney David Pfeifer said.
Pfeifer said he argued that the motions had been filed after a 30-day deadline the court had set previously.
Judge Wills took the motions for a new trial under advisement. A date for a new hearing had not been set as of Friday.
Smith is being held at the Southern Regional Jail in Beaver.