This week, in our virtual tour of Athens, circa 1969, via Ella Holroyd’s notes printed in the 1987 volume of the Mercer County Historical Society’s “History of Mercer County”, we come to East Concord Street, a street she said she wasn’t as familiar with as others.
The first brick home on the right was built by a Crawford. It was occupied by Charles Hopkins, an employee of the Athens Post Office.
Next on the right was a house owned by Hopkins’ son, Charles W. Hopkins, who married Clark and Aileen Butler’s daughter Mary.
The next house on the street was the Henderson and Lillian Martin home which later became the Eskew home. Both families had several children.
A skilled carpenter, Mr. Roseman, built the Alvis home at 114 East Concord and several other homes on the street. Annie Caldwell qre from Bluefield after her husband’s death. She remarried to George William Alvis in 1929. The home later was owned by her daughter and by Elsie White.
The Pruetts lived in the next house which was later bought by Ike Mitchell and his wife Bess. The Mitchells were both teachers. A second home on their property was rented by Concord pianist Eugene Barton.
Dale and Genevieve Thompson built the next house. She was a professor of home economics at Concord and a president of the Athens Women’s Club. She died soon after the home was newly furnished.
The next two houses had little information available except that they were built by Charles and Denise Wood.
Doug and Madeline Shorter had the next home with a circle drive. She taught home economics at the high school.
The original Davy and Fannie Thompson home where they raised a large family was the next home on the street.
Keith and Ruth Thompson had the next home. Keith was a former Athens mayor and Ruth a second grade teacher at Athens.
The next house up was built by a former pastor at the Christian church, a Rev. Helsebeck. Residents of the home included former Concord Normal School principal L.B. Hill, the Fred Rogers family and Russell and Ruth Inge.
The Peters family moved to Athens in 1916. Daughter Ora Peters was a columnist for the Princeton Times since 1961 as well as the librarian at Concord. Her brother Tom Peters was pastor at the Athens Baptist Church. The home was built by the Rosamonds.
The next home on the street was occupied by surveyor John Bailey while his family was attending college. It was later occupied by Concord professor Andrew Montgomery and his family.
The last home this time around was built by the late Tom Beckett as a rental. It provided his widow Pauline with income.
Jeff Harvey is a freelance reporter and columnist for the Princeton Times. Contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org