This time around,we switch our emphasis to a more familiar area of the county in Glenwood, courtesy of an article by Margaret Ann Scott in the 1987 edition of the Mercer County Historical Society’s “History of Mercer County.”

Around 1847, J.J. Hethrington and John Carr brought their families to the area. John J. Hethrington and his wife Rhoda settled on a large farm east of Pigeon’s Roost with their children Joseph and Mary. A year or so later, a second son, George, was born.

John and Sarah Carr, with children Sarah, Hester E., Daniel Hoge, William R., Susan E., Juliet H. and Samuel D. moved to a farm just below the present-day Glenwood Park.

A few years later, Howard (?) Bailey bought a farm between the other two farms.

Joseph Hethrington later lived at his father’s home place. Carr’s older sons Daniel Hoge and William R., inherited the family estate which later passed to William R. Carr’s sons D.T. and William R., a legacy of three generations.

“The History of Glenwood Community” written by the Hustlers Farm Women’s Club and R. Erastus M. Bowling about 1926, stated that Pigeon’s Roost, the ridge about two-and-a-half miles from Glenwood Park, received its name from the flight of wild pigeons which were reportedly so thick that they blocked out the sun. The ridge later was the home of MCHS members Perry and Eileen Mooney and lent its name to the 1862 Civil War Battle of Pigeon’s Roost.

According to the 1926 account, James Carr owned the land around what is now Glenwood Park. His home was at the intersection of the Matoaka Pike. The land later passed to Col. J.S. Carr and, after him, his son E.B. Carr.

A man with the last name of Tracey owned an estate of 500 acres, precise location unclear. Col. J.B. Bailey bought it for $1,500 and after his death, it went to his niece Mrs. Charles Harman.

The land around El Centro was purchased on May 16, 1827 by Charles Dare from Ezekiel and Susan Smith. It was 450 acres purchased for $400. It passed through at least three generations of Dares. Part of it became the Maple Acres subdivision.

The early residents of the area erected a log church near the site of the present New Hope Church on land given by John and Sarah Carr in 1848. In 1855, Daniel Hoge Carr was licensed to preach at that church, the first Methodist church in Mercer County. It was also used as a school before being replaced by a frame building also used as a school.

Jeff Harvey is a freelance reporter and columnist for the Princeton Times/ Contact him at delimartman@yahoo.com

Trending Video

Recommended for you