Continuing with our history of Glenwood, courtesy of Margaret Ann Scott’s article in the 1987 Mercer County Historical Society’s “History of Mercer County,” we now go to Glenwood School.

About 1866, efforts were made to establish a school near New Hope. One of the first teachers there was Charles G. Caudill. Juliet Carr, later Hethrington, was one of the first students.

About 1911 or 1912, a one-room school named the Carr School was built on the grounds of Glenwood Park. This building served grades 1-8 until 1921 when a two-room building was opened on the hill above the first school (the 1866 one). Glenwood School, which remained on the hill until the 1980s when a new building was built on the site of the old vocational school, still serves.

The old building now houses Mercer County Opportunity Industries.

In 1855, the first of several key roads, the Raleigh-Grayson Turnpike, was opened. A second road was built along Brush Creek and connected with the Old Grawell Road at the James Carr farm. The coming of the interurban car from Princeton to Bluefield in 1914-1916 and the later hard-topping of roads helped expand the horizons of residents of the area.

The area had several dairy farms, most notably Edward C. Hager’s Oak Lane Dairy and J.B. Harman’s J.B. Harman and Sons Dairy. Among the stores was Faulkner’s.

The coming of the interurban car inspired its developer Sam Evans to create the first Glenwood Lake for swimming and boating. The lake at the site of the present 4-H Camp had a bandstand where the Princeton Band performed once a week. It closed after an accidental drowning.

In 1935, the County Court (now Commission) purchased the land and developed a camp for the exclusive use of 4-H clubs and the Farm Women’s organizations. The camp is used for family reunions and other gatherings.

The Hobby Hut, a popular spot for crafters, is located in the caretaker’s cottage which was relocated when the Methodist Home was built. It opened for weekly workshops in 1968.

The 1940s and early 1950s was when the cannery was popular. Many women from all over the county came to can their vegetables with modern equipment.

Jeff Harvey is a freelance reporter and columnist for the Princeton Times. Contact him at delimartman@yahoo.com

Trending Video

Recommended for you